Life takes strange turns

As anyone who has been following this blog knows it has been a while since I have been on.

I started this initially to cover my renewed hope of losing weight. While I am slowly shifting the weight around, lost 1% of my body fat, the ponds seem to be staying. Yes, muscle weighs more then fat. I got that a long time ago. Just hate stepping on the scale after a month to only see 5 lbs gone. While other friends on other programs loose 10+. My diet issues are hard to over come. Not being able to eat the free calorie foods stinks.

Add to that stress associated with family issues. I would think the pounds would be dropping off. Alas no.

One of the big reasons I have not blogged in a while is because I did not want to spread my feelings out there on the personal things going on. It has been mentioned to me that it bothers people to read about themselves even when names are not mentioned. Interesting double standard that allows one person to blog whatever they feel but others can not.

Question: Just because I am over a certain age, have had my children, and am making money I never thought I would ever earn, does that mean I think and react to situations the same as others my age?

I never intended to start my adult life at the age of 17, but I did. First by joining the Navy right out of high school, then getting pregnant. When I got pregnant is was during the era of no pregnant women in the military. I was forced out of the service. The father of my baby chose to beat me when I was pregnant with his child. After I had left the service and relocated with him to his family in NY state. I immediately called my mother and took a 27 hour bus ride, 5 months pregnant, down to be with her in SC.

While staying at my mother's an old friend called. He convinced me he loved me. We married 2 weeks after the baby was born. Moved to Florida, had two more children, moved to California and then lost a 4th child before ending up divorced.

I remarried again, too soon after the divorce to find my way.

During all this I was a stay at home mom learning to make do with $1000 worth of monthly bills and only $600 coming in. I learned how to make 1lb. of hamburger last for 6 meals for my three children. I learned how to use coupons to get most of my groceries for free. I learned that just because we had limited means we were still ineligible for WIC or Food stamps. I learned that everyone has an opinion on how I should raise my kids, and that I would never be a good enough mother in there eyes because I was so young. I had all three of my children before I was 21. I had several people tell me to my face that I was raising my children wrong. Yes, including a family member.

Most importantly I learned that we are all individuals with individual styles of raising our children. That every mother and father out there deserves our respect. I know I respect each persons choices. I defer to a mother's knowledge before my own thoughts or feelings. If I express an opinion it is nothing more then a suggestion. I do NOT expect them to take it if it does not fit with their style.

All three of my children have turned out fabulous. There are times I wonder how with all the other stuff going on in our lives this happened. Then I remember the biggest lesson I learned from my mom and hope my children learned. Allow everyone to be who they are.

Regardless of which direction you feel your children should go in allow them to find their path and be there to hold their hand if they want or need it.

I love you all, Richard, Joy, Thomas. As well as your families, Samantha, Josh, Jenny, Holden and the newest yet to be born little man. And last but certainly not least my stepdaughter Megan, her husband Aaron and her step-son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting

Addictions versus Choices