Two days in a row!

Not sure if I can keep to an everyday blog but will try.

Question: What do you consider being materialistic?

Having never had much money in my entire life I can not help but feel I am not materialistic in anyway shape or form. I do not want the trophy car. As my husband will tell you it is difficult for me to look at getting a second vehicle. Why do we need it when the one we got is hardly used?

Yes, I like my sparkly things. All my jewelry is the real thing now. It is not for the bling factor but because I finally had the money to get something I saw and I liked. Do I go out of my way to get something everyone else has or wants? NO.

I enjoy giving gifts to family and friends when I know there is something that would be useful or helpful. I try to keep random gifts under $50. Especially if it happens to benefit my grandson in anyway.

I guess if you look around my apartment and see the 50" plasma with 2 computers below it, the laptop and third base computers in the next room, as well as the huge select number bed, you might think that it shows I am materialistic. Wow I bought my last TV in 2002, a small 17 inch one. I was at best buy and this plasma was on sale for $600.00 what was I supposed to do? My husband and I play World of Warcraft to relax, again I found at Best Buy a gaming computer for $1200. We were like OMG usually they cost like $3000. So I bought one one payday and the next the next payday. So we relegated the Laptop and Base to the other room.

If these make me materialistic I guess I am.

I do not see myself as such. I much prefer to shop the thrift store for treasures. Guess I got into that habit when my kids were small and it was the cheapest way to go. Drove them nuts to go get school clothes there. The last time I bought a new dress from a store? For my daughter's wedding, a $300 dress that I got at an outlet store for less the $70. Shoes and purse to go along with it for $12 a piece. That was what 3 years almost.

Homemade bread, when I have time, is one of my favorite things to do. I sew a lot of my uniforms for work. Not to mention my costumes for Ren Faires.

I personally believe we as a nation are in the financial situation we are because people do not follow basic money saving measures. If more people stopped looking at the labels and started looking at the cost, not just monetary but evnvironmentally, things will change. Our society is extremely wasteful. It is a shop and toss society.

At this point in my life I have more money in my pocket then ever before. My bank account is still payday to payday. Not because I spend a lot on things as much as I spend more on bills, I maintain a farm in MO as well as my apartment in California. If I could find a job in MO I would sooo be there. Then I would grow my own food, cook my own meals, make my own clothes, basically live off my farm.

What do you consider being materialistic?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting

Addictions versus Choices