Season of Cheer?

Okay, so originally I started this blog as I was trying to lose weight. I figured if I spent time typing it out I would stick to it. So nope did not follow through that way. But then I have since gotten a total hip replacement. As well as a bunch of other life crazy stuff.

Now, I am just going top blog what is on my mind.

I have absolutely always loved this time of year. When my kids were small we had no money and it was a major challenge just to get them the ONE perfect gift that they wanted. It became a key thing for me to make sure that there where presents under the tree no matter who they came from, but that the one special gift was from me. I will never forget the year I tricked Richie. He wanted a CD player, just a small personal one. That was back when they first came out and even a small one was like $40 or $50 bucks, high end of our gift budget. A friend of ours had gotten a CD player stereo and I asked for the box. I then placed the sheet and quilt set that Richie had wanted in it. Wrapped it and placed it under the tree. Then I took the way smaller CD player, wrapped it and hid it way in the back under the tree as far as I could get it. Yes I am a mean mommy. He unwrapped that big box and freaked out thinking he got the big stereo system, only to be dashed when he realized that was not inside the box. Then after all the gifts were opened and he did not get the CD player he was moping around. We were picking up the wrappings and I kicked a ball of wrapping paper under the tree. I sent Richie under to find it to throw it away and he found the small box with his name on it. He was ecstatic, the one thing he truly wanted.

I remember spending hours upon hours making breads and cookies for my friends and their families. I loved to bake, and still do. My kids can probably remember the gingerbread houses and cookies. The homemade cinnamon rolls and breads. Even my crocheting for months to have gifts for my mom and grandmothers.

Guess what I am doing this year.......yep back to baking and crocheting. I am poor this year financially. So I am stepping back and doing a more traditional Christmas. No one, except Holden and my dad, is getting a store bought gift. Most gifts will be late as I am still working on them. I had not realized I would be doing this until two weeks ago. Tomorrow night I will be making a new recipe to take to a friends family Christmas dinner which I am going to. Believe it or not it is a Chocolate Orange cake.

For all this I still feel so alone this year. My normal sense of Cheer is gone. My children are grown and gone. My grandchildren are a continent away. My husband is 1/2 a continent away. I only put up 1/2 of my lights, which a neighbor said were beautiful. I have my tree up, the fiber-optic one, with no ornaments on it. I just do not have the energy to do it just for me. I had a co-worker comment that I was not singing all my Christmas songs. I usually get people asking me to sing something once I get started. Not this year. Where oh where has all my cheer gone. Tears leaking out the corners of my eyes at the least little provocation. I guess I just miss my family.

Oh yea almost forgot without trying, just from walking the dog am down 7 lbs since August.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting

Addictions versus Choices